Parental Visitations
I just dropped mom and Earl off at the airport after a wonderful, and sometimes difficult, 12 day trip. It was wonderful to be able to see them, spend time with them, and have them experience our world down here.
They came on a Saturday night. On Sunday we mostly relaxed and we took them to ICF, International Chrisitan Fellowship. They met some of the other teachers that had not left the country yet. Earl watched Jason play ultimate frisbee, they toured the school, and we went to RostiPollos, a restaurant in town. On Monday and Tuesday we painted my classroom. They came down to help, and I could not have done it without them. It looks AMAZING, so I'll have to attach some pictures. We also went to Huembes, a market in town, where I made them walk down the meat aisle to see all of the open-air carnage. And we looked at the touristy section as well. We explored Managua so that they could see where we lived.
On Wednesday we went to this resort place called Norome, where you can have use of their pool and chairs and lake area as long as you spend 100 cords on food, which is about 6 bucks. I've written about this area before - Laguna de Apoyo - which is the cleanest natural water I have ever been in. We went to Catarina, which is the lookout to the lake, and then went to visit the potter that we know. Mom and Earl got to see where he makes the pots and watched one being thrown on the wheel.
On Thursday we left for Granada and stayed at a guest house a little outside of the city. We swam in their little pool, went touring around the city, and came back and played Settlers of Cataan. (I should probably mention that we did this A TON while they were here, which made me very happy. Seriously, I think we averaged 1-2 games a day.) On Friday we went to go to the cloud forests on one of the volcanoes, but we decided to wait until the next day. We took a boat tour around the islands surrounding Granada and then went back to where we were staying. Unfortunately we got robbed while we were staying there. We all lost our money and a credit or debit card, but Earl and mom lost their incredibly nice camera with all of their pictures on it. It was really hard, especially because it would not have happened if the owners had been responsible and conscientious, but the two of them were amazing examples to me of being at peace and knowing that God is still in control.
We ended up going back to Managua on Friday night and just relaxed on Saturday and went to a movie that night. On Sunday we went to Verbo and toured the remains of Managua's downtown area. On Monday we finished up the classroom that I am now sitting in that looks entirely different and interesting now. Earl got a little sick, but he was fine again by the time he left. On Tuesday we went to the Masaya market and to Volcan Masaya where they got to look down into a real live active volcano. It was pretty cool because it was INCREDIBLY active that morning. On Wednesday we packed up and yes, that evening I CRUSHED in Settlers. :)
It was a wonderful trip and it was great to see them. Now I have a month of more vacation - woo-hoo!
They came on a Saturday night. On Sunday we mostly relaxed and we took them to ICF, International Chrisitan Fellowship. They met some of the other teachers that had not left the country yet. Earl watched Jason play ultimate frisbee, they toured the school, and we went to RostiPollos, a restaurant in town. On Monday and Tuesday we painted my classroom. They came down to help, and I could not have done it without them. It looks AMAZING, so I'll have to attach some pictures. We also went to Huembes, a market in town, where I made them walk down the meat aisle to see all of the open-air carnage. And we looked at the touristy section as well. We explored Managua so that they could see where we lived.
On Wednesday we went to this resort place called Norome, where you can have use of their pool and chairs and lake area as long as you spend 100 cords on food, which is about 6 bucks. I've written about this area before - Laguna de Apoyo - which is the cleanest natural water I have ever been in. We went to Catarina, which is the lookout to the lake, and then went to visit the potter that we know. Mom and Earl got to see where he makes the pots and watched one being thrown on the wheel.
On Thursday we left for Granada and stayed at a guest house a little outside of the city. We swam in their little pool, went touring around the city, and came back and played Settlers of Cataan. (I should probably mention that we did this A TON while they were here, which made me very happy. Seriously, I think we averaged 1-2 games a day.) On Friday we went to go to the cloud forests on one of the volcanoes, but we decided to wait until the next day. We took a boat tour around the islands surrounding Granada and then went back to where we were staying. Unfortunately we got robbed while we were staying there. We all lost our money and a credit or debit card, but Earl and mom lost their incredibly nice camera with all of their pictures on it. It was really hard, especially because it would not have happened if the owners had been responsible and conscientious, but the two of them were amazing examples to me of being at peace and knowing that God is still in control.
We ended up going back to Managua on Friday night and just relaxed on Saturday and went to a movie that night. On Sunday we went to Verbo and toured the remains of Managua's downtown area. On Monday we finished up the classroom that I am now sitting in that looks entirely different and interesting now. Earl got a little sick, but he was fine again by the time he left. On Tuesday we went to the Masaya market and to Volcan Masaya where they got to look down into a real live active volcano. It was pretty cool because it was INCREDIBLY active that morning. On Wednesday we packed up and yes, that evening I CRUSHED in Settlers. :)
It was a wonderful trip and it was great to see them. Now I have a month of more vacation - woo-hoo!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home