Sunday, October 16, 2005

The End Is in Sight

It's Sunday afternoon. Jason is out playing ultimate frisbee, and I just woke up from a really hard nap, the kind when you keep thinking that you are trying to get up and that you've gotten up, only to realize that your attempts have been unsuccessful. When you do finally get up, you realize that not once have you actually lifted your head off of your pillow, like you thought you did, and that your husband has not come home yet, which you thought he had, OR that it is only 3:00, not 6:40, like one of the scenarios had you thinking.

For the good news, we think that the rain has finally broken. It has rained a little bit the past few days, but not much at all, so we believe that the neverending rain has actually ceased, which means that we can start washing our clothes again (always a good thing). However, the rain brought a few difficulties, including discovering some beginnings of mold on a few household things. Fortunately, we were easily able to salvage those. We're not so sure about our coffee table, though. The table is made of wood and glass. The wood part has all of these small, dark dots all over it in various places, and a few larger build-ups of something that we're not quite sure of. We cleaned it up as best as possible, so now we're hoping that it won't spread. However, to our dismay, last night we discovered small piles of wood shavings in our dresser again, which means that the termites are back after a lengthy, extensive battle. We don't think we're going to win this one, so we might just need to end up getting a new dresser. I hate the fact that we're going to have to replace it at some point.

This has been a good week, but busy, as they usually are. I have started taking Spanish classes twice a week for two hours a class. They are starting to be really helpful I think. On Friday I asked our school secretary, "Usted sabe donde Pam o Liam estan?" (Which means "Do you know where Pam or Liam are?" I know, very advanced Spanish... lol.) It's been good, but it's also taxing. I'm really discovering how hard it is to teach something that I have studied in almost ten years, and teach something that I've never even studied before. I can usually hold my own in physical science, although a lot of things I have to review a few times. Physics, though, is a monster for me. My friend Mandy has been a helpful resource recently, but sometimes I feel like I'm just lost when it comes to physics and that I'm not doing a good job preparing the kids because I don't know what I'm doing. I know that I know how to teach, and I'm not worried about that part as much, but it's really exhausting to constantly invest hours and hours into studying subjects that I don't really care about and then have to be enthusiastic enough to pretend to care about them when I am teaching lessons. This is certainly NOT to say that all is bad, because so many things are really, really wonderful. It's hard not teaching English, though, or anything else abstract. (While I get to teach apologetics, which is very philisophically-oriented, the Bible classes aren't quite as "academic" as the other courses.) Anyway, in the process of your prayers, I would definitely appreciate them when it comes to diligence, dedication, and enthusiasm about teaching science.

Through all of this, though, maybe God is attempting to teach me some humility. I tend to like to think that I have things figured out and am fien on my own, and maybe I just needed a swift kick to the rear in the pride department. This also applies to working at a small, Christian school. It's a hard transition sometimes to go from Atlee to the NCA, and patience is also something that God is working on in me. Plus, you have to have it in abindance if you're going to live in a country that takes three weeks to get pin number for your ATN card so that you dn't have to stand in line at the bank for 45 minutes and then take ten more minutes to do somethign basic, like get money, from the teller. :)

Jason and I also celebrated our second anniversary on Tuesday, hooray! We went to the mall to eat at a place called RostiPollos, but when we got there we discovered that the power had been out and the restaurants were all closed. So we decided to go to Casa de Cafe, where we had intended to get dessert, and it, too, was closed and without power. So we walked across the street to Pizza Hut, and it was GREAT!!! Sometimes I can't believe everything that has happened to us in the past two years, but I know that God is working through all of it. It's been wonderful and amazing, and I feel like we've grown so much as individuals and as a couple. He has truly helped me to become a better person, and is a wonderful man who is close to God and I can trust to make good decisions. It's great to be able to look up to him. And he still makes me laugh like crazy. Okay, enough of mushiness. Anyway, yesterday we decidxed to have a date afternoon and hitched two buses into the city to go eat lunch and see a movie and have a date, and that was nice. Now this is the part that is unbelieveable - when getting off of the bus, I met a girl who went to FREEMAN!!! (That's my high school for those of you who don't know.) Unbelievable. She lived two roads away from Kalb Road, where I mived in high school. So incredibly weird.

The other thing in our consideration right now is whether or not we're going to try to get a car. There are a lot of pros and cons about this, but there is the possibility that we might be able to get a ridiculously good deal on a 2000 Ford Ranger. Used cars down here are usually inflated in price because no one can afford new cars, which drives up the price of used cars. Our thinking, and what a lot of other people have told us, is that we could probably turn around and sell a car in two years for not much less than we originally purchased it for. That's good news. The bad news is that gas is almost a dollar a liter right now, which brings a gallon to almost four dollars, which is REALLY expensive. We would have to commit to not using it all of the time, but it would be wonderful to just be able to go when we wanted to. More than that, though, is the fact that Jason has to be able to get to and from work, and it's not working out incredibly well for him to be hitching rides all the time. We are still considering getting a small motorcycle for him, but we're going to see what the options are with these Ford Rangers that are being sold. (It's from an organizationn who is friends with one of Jason's friends Bob (the one who has the island), so we know we would at least be able to trust him, which is a great bonus. Anyway, say a prayer about that as well, because we don't want to do something as big as this just for the sake of convenience, but it also might be a decent investment that will work really well for us. We don't know enough details yet, but we'll let you know what's happening.

Adios for now. I'm off to study vector addition and subtraction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home