Saturday, March 01, 2008

Greetings from the Land That Felt Like Managua

The unthinkable occurred last weekend. On Saturday evening, around 6:30 or so, half of our power went out. This has happened before once or twice, only for about an hour. And it flickered, like before, between all being out and some being out. However, by about 8:00 or so, all of our power was out. And it stayed off for over 24 hours. WE DON'T LIVE IN MANAGUA!!! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? There are apparently some wiring problems below ground for some buildings in our area, and they are going to have to dig. It just seemed a little bit unreasonable considering that we were without power for 7 months to have go be without it here in the city. Oh well... it's pretty funny looking back at it, and we discovered that the plug to the ac unit worked so we plugged in our fridge and didn't lose anything.

Other than that small mishap, all is well. The apartment is pretty put together finally , and I'm attaching a video so that you can all see what our world is like. (And aany innuendo about the bedroom was completely unintentional... I just meant that it's where the desk is a file cabinet and we pay our bills... that's ALL!!!) Jason has really gotten into work, and he's been able to travel quite a bit so far, which is really cool. I'm pretty used to the area by now, at least the places that I go on a regular basis, and although it's been too cold to really do much in DC, I've been driving around it a couple of times. We discovered that the two Smithsonians we'd like to visit the most are going to be out of commission for MONTHS!!! So much sadness, but we'll find other things to do.

We've also been visiting some churches, and I think we may have found one that we'd like to attend. It's hard to find the balance between "hunting" for a church and trying to be where God would have you. We went last Sunday to an AMIA church and enjoyed the worship, message, and people. And they participate in Eucharist every Sunday. So we're definitely going to go back there tomorrow and would like to know more about the church.

And I have finally fixed my toe!!! In case you didn't know, I've had an ingrown toenail for months, and yesterday my doctor removed it. (And we have a WONDERFUL doctor's office. Everyone is great. You hear horror stories about HMO's, but I couldn't ask for a better place for us.) Anyway, I've been a little out of comission since yesterday afternoon with it, and my wonderful husband got my tulips, let me sleep in really late, and made me pancakes with fresh blueberries this morning. Now THAT'S LOVE!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

awesome blog - loved the video. the place looks so comfortable and great.

good work on standing up alex.

look for my email.....

4:47 pm  
Blogger easy said...

hey jess! glad to find you back on the blog world again! boy, is that girl getting big! thanks for the tour of the apartment and keeping in touch!i am still at the same blogspot as before.

8:33 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Jess, loved the updates! You've got a super-cute daughter--very fun! Glad to hear things are going well. Talk to you later!

10:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes me a while to check your blog - but I finally did! Great video and terrific blog as usual. I hope we can get together soon - I miss you!

Love the apartment!

7:06 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home