Thursday, July 28, 2005

Falling asleep at 8:30...

Yes, I feel as though I could fall asleep this very moment. It's been an exhausting, but wonderful day! We spent the morning in Granada, the oldest city in Nicaragua, and the city that receives the most tourists. We walked around the plaza, and our principal gave us a lot of great information about the church in Nicaragua and how divided it can be. We also learned a lot about the superstitions that a lot of them hold; a lot of them deal with hot and cold. For example, if you take a shower after you exercise, bad things can happen to your body. It's very strange. We also learned about various gestures, including pointing with your lips, a gesture that Jason picked up while he was here. (We're also going to receive a list of bad Spanish words, which is pretty funny to think about but will be intensely helpful in our classrooms.) We took a tour of the islands in lake Nicaragua. There are 365 of them, and many of them are inhabited and have been by the same families for years. We saw children being bathed in the lake, and we also saw a school on one fo the islands with the kids taking a "bus" back home. As soon as I can I'll post some pictures.
For lunch I had a marvelous fried fish, complete with head, eyes, and a grimace on it's face surrounding its sharp little teeth.

In the afternoon we went to Huembes market where I purchased all sorts of needed objects, including a dresser for our apartment!

Thigns here are wonderful. The passion that the people who work here is evident, and I'm seeing myself more and more as aprt of a vital ministry7. I'll have to explain more about that at a later date. In the meantime, keep the NCA in your prayers; we are desperately looking for a music teacher nad have yet to have one. (School startsin a week and a half!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason Edgerton said...

The hot cold thing really gets pretty funny at times. Don't dare try to iron something if your hair is still wet! My personal favorite however is that drinking cold water with a hot nacatamale will give you diarrhea; you have to drink hot coffee. I know we probably hold some odd beliefs that seem silly to them though too.

All I can say is that I am jealous! I am ready to be there with you love!

9:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home